The Manage Motor Fuel Greenhouse Gas Emissions Service (GHG) is provided by the Department for Transport (DfT). The data controller is the Department for Transport. A data controller determines how and why personal data is processed. For more information, read the DfT’s entry in the Data Protection Public Register.
What data we need
The personal data we collect from you includes:
- your name and email address when you register for the service
- information on how you use the site, using cookies
- optionally your name, email address and phone number for use in the marketplace
The legal basis for processing this data is to perform a task in the public interest that is set out in law and is statute based.
Why we need it
We use this data to:
- grant you access to the service
- send email alerts
- allow other registered organisations to contact you to buy or sell credits
What we do with your data
The data we collect may be shared with supplier organisations, other government departments, agencies and public bodies.
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes
- We will share your data if we are required to do so by law – for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as:
- it is needed for the purposes set out in this document
- the law requires us to
If your account is inactive for three years, we will anonymise your personal data.
Children's privacy protection
Our services are not designed for, or intentionally targeted at, children 13 years of age or younger. We do not intentionally collect or maintain data about anyone under the age of 13.
Where your data is processed and stored
We design, build and run our systems to make sure that your data is as safe as possible at any stage, both while it’s processed and when it’s stored.
Your personal data may, throughout the course of its processing at DfT, be transferred outside of the European Economic Area (EEA). Where this is the case, all appropriate technical and legal safeguards will be put in place to ensure that you are afforded the same level of protection as within the EEA.
How we protect your data and keep it secure
We are committed to doing all that we can to keep your data secure. We have set up systems and processes to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of your data – for example, we protect your data using varying levels of encryption.
We also make sure that any third parties that we deal with keep all personal data they process on our behalf secure.
You have the right to request:
- information about how your personal data is processed
- a copy of that personal data
- that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected immediately
You can also:
- raise an objection about how your personal data is processed
- request that your personal data is erased if there is no longer a justification for it
- ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances
If you have any of these requests, get in contact with our Data Protection Officer.
Changes to this policy
If these changes affect how your personal data is processed, DfT will take reasonable steps to let you know.